Tuesday, May 18, 2021 – Limitless Mindset: The What
Reviewing Jim Kwik’s “Limitless” book in Four Parts Using Unofficial Workbook
Welcome to my Reading Tuesday’s B.R.E.A.T.H.S. blog. This is my third week blogging about my favorite book of 2020, “Limitless,” by Jim Kwik. On my drive across the USA, I listened to Jim’s audiobook twice because I wanted to soak up all the knowledge he has packed into this powerful book on how to read faster, comprehend better, and remember more. The only problem with listening to the book is that I didn’t get to pick up on the speed reading skill. Once I returned to my home base, I used my ebook version combined with an unofficial workbook by Intensive Life Publishing to guide me.
The workbook is written in four parts, so I will cover one part each week giving my personal insights on becoming limitless by reflecting, setting goals, and taking action. Jim’s #1 message that came through to me while I first listened to his book was to teach what I learn and that is what I am here to do with this blog. Follow along the next three weeks as I continue to dive deep into how to upgrade my brain, read faster, comprehend more, and improve my memory recall. To catch up on last week’s first “Limitless” review click here.
The workbook takes the 15 chapters of the “Limitless” book and breaks it down into four parts:
PART 1 – Free Your Mind (Chapters 1 – 4)
PART 2 – Limitless Mindset: The What (Chapters 5 & 6)
PART 3 – Limitless Motivation: The Why (Chapters 7 – 10)
PART 4 – Limitless Methods: The How (Chapters 11 – 15)
Each of the four parts breaks down the chapters for the reader by including:
- Summary of the chapter
- The author’s takeaway
- Points for reflection
- Action steps
Today, I will be discussing my findings from Part 2 – Limitless Mindset: The What, that integrates chapters five and six covering my personal thoughts on: points for reflection, goals, and action steps.
Chapter 5 – The Spell of Belief Systems
*CHAPTER 5 – POINTS FOR REFLECTION:
- What limiting beliefs have impacted you?
- Belief that I lack, I am not good enough, I don’t have the knowledge or skills
- What are the instances or situations in your life that trigger these limiting beliefs?
- My parents not making enough money and complaining, not standing out in anything particular, being stuck in school for decades.
*CHAPTER 5 – GOALS:
- Do you intend to fight your limiting beliefs?
- I don’t want to fight to keep my limiting beliefs, so I will fight to get rid of them.
- What does it take to have a superhero mindset?
- Being fearless, getting rid of limiting beliefs, creating my own hero’s journey.
- What form or combination of geniuses are you?
- I am a combination of all four of the genius types. I am a dynamo genius – I express myself creatively through painting and writing. I am a blaze genius – I know how to convey my story and connect with people through their hearts and minds. I am a tempo genius – I know my rare mission on how to change our education system and I have worked my entire life following that light in my heart. I am also a steel genius – I obtain and process large amounts of information, see things others don’t, and use the data to create something great like, Global Alternative Learning Systems (G.A.L.S.).
*CHAPTER 5 – ACTION STEPS:
- Positive Mindset: Start a habit of having a positive mindset. It will not only help you manage stress and keep you from possible health risks, but it will also open up new possibilities.
- Mindset books, podcasts, and videos. I have purchased several books (waiting to read fast), listened to several audiobooks and a couple podcasts, watched mindset movies, and purchased a variety of journals that focus on mindset. I have a vision board that also helps me keep focused on my positive mindset.
Chapter 6 – The Seven LIES of Learning
- Intelligence is fixed
- We only use 10% of our brain
- Mistakes are failures
- Knowledge is power
- Learning new things is difficult
- The criticism of other people matters
- Genius is born
*CHAPTER 6 – POINTS FOR REFLECTION:
- Which of the seven LIE’s seem to have really affected your life as you were growing up?
- Well, all of the lies I have heard at one point or another. I often heard that knowledge is power, but I learned from Jim’s book that knowledge is potential power. The biggest LIE for me, however, was that learning is difficult. School was not easy for my family and the majority of my siblings dropped out (2 out of 6 graduated with a diploma, 1 earned GED to emancipate himself at 17). Learning was not easy for me either but I was determined to push through and make it as high as I could go (I made it), then turn around and change the whole education system (I’m working on it), because frankly it sucks!
- Do you still believe these specific lies?
- Absolutely not. I believe I can help change the education system by incorporating “Limitless Learning” into G.A.L.S. so that anyone, at any age, from anywhere in the world can become lifelong limitless learners.
- Do you believe that you are a superhero with a superpower inside you?
- I never thought I would be asked this question, but I have always known there is a superhero inside me. To give you a little idea of what I would be like on the outside, I would have the background story similar to Mr. Glass with years of falling and breaking bones while in bed reading to pass time while I regain strength and build a ton of knowledge along the way. The look of Black Widow with her sporty physique and red hair. The overall abilities of Wonder Woman with her superhuman strength (enduring years of broken bones), enhanced senses (my sixth sense is extra smell), and enlightened wisdom (my superpower is education, I am a super knowledge broker). Besides, my name is perfect for a superhero, Dr. Jaime Brainerd!
*CHAPTER 6 -GOALS:
- After reading this chapter, how will you address criticism?
- I will not address criticism. I won’t read what critics have to say because I do not care what other people think. I have one life to live, one shot at making my dreams happen, and nothing can or should stand in the way of that, let alone someone’s negative thoughts. I only have room in my life for positive people, positive thoughts, and positive actions.
- If you did not worry about people’s opinions and who you are was the only thing that mattered, what would you be like?
- Me, right now. I have not always been this way. In fact, it was only just a few years ago that I took time off work to focus on my health and that’s when I realized I was really sick. Sick of working hard with little pay, sick of being tired, sick of being unfit, sick of not finishing school, sick of just about everything. Once I started to really work on myself, I realized most of my bad health had to do with me worrying about other people’s opinions and belief systems. I started to slowly get rid of those negative people and situations, then my health started to improve.
*CHAPTER 6 -ACTION STEPS:
- Knowledge x Action = Power. What have you learned today that you can put into action and see how you are able to turn that knowledge into power?
- Jim’s #1 message that came through to me while I first listened to his book was to teach what I learn and that is what I am here to do with this blog. I am taking action by reading, reviewing what I have learned, and teaching others the concepts I am learning. I hope that I can spread the knowledge to at least one other person and I will be happy and grateful with that progress.
Thank you for reading,
Dr. Jaime Brainerd, Ed.D.
P.S. I have some very exciting news related to Jim Kwik’s book that I found out this week. I am waiting for a package to come in the mail and then I will do a big reveal video for B.R.E.A.T.H.S. blog! Stay tuned 😀